SCHOTT® LightView packages
The technical challenges for augmented reality
Augmented reality (AR) is widely accepted to be one of the most exciting technologies in development today, opening up a range of opportunities for businesses around the world. But for AR to reach its full potential, there are a number of technical challenges to overcome.
One of the main challenges is achieving a broad colour gamut and high resolution for image projection, which will drive business and consumer interest. Since AR technology will be used both inside and outside, high brightness will be required to provide effective contrast alongside the efficient coupling of light to the waveguide. Both factors have direct impacts on battery consumption.
In addition, sleek form factor is vital if consumers are to embrace and invest in the technology. However, existing packaging solutions are bulky, resulting in undesirable large form factors for end devices in many cases.
SCHOTT® LightView Packages offer effective solutions for AR challenges
The benefit of experience for augmented reality
SCHOTT has utilized its long-standing experience in glass-to-metal sealing to develop innovative packaging solutions for RGB laser chips and MEMS mirrors in augmented reality applications.
SCHOTT® RGB LightView Package
The SCHOTT® RGB LightView Package enables the adoption of laser-based light engine technologies for augmented reality and HUD applications. Hermetic encapsulation protects the sensitive RGB laser chips to enable high brightness and image resolution. Other advantages include:
- Three-times form factor reduction compared to individual TO cans.
- Hermetic encapsulation that increases the reliability of RGB laser chips.
- Cost-efficient, localized joining of metal base and cap.
- Excellent optical properties through the use of SCHOTT’s in-house optical glass.
SCHOTT® MEMS mirror LightView Package
Offering hermetic vacuum packages for MEMS mirrors, the SCHOTT® MEMS mirror LightView Package provides a range of benefits:
- Wider scanning angle and lower power consumption in a vacuum environment.
- Reduction of back reflection through angled window concept (lesser ghost images).
- Moisture and dust protection.
- Readily available technology for scalable production.