For partition walls and modern lighting, there’s a demand for glass that combines strong safety features with high visual clarity. DURAN® Tough was developed for interior and exterior design, offering all the elegance, strength, and geometric precision of DURAN® glass tubing with an additional polymer coating for improved safety.
Applied to the inner surface of the glass tube, the clear polymer coating ensures that the DURAN® Tough tubing maintains its form and integrity in the event of breakage, providing crucial protection against glass splinters and shards. Since DURAN® glass absorbs UV radiation, the coating is protected from UV degradation and remains stable in a wide range of environments.
- High transparency and visual quality for architectural and industrial design.
- Precise geometric tolerances for accurate fitting.
- Product integrity retained if broken, considerably reducing the risk of injury.
- Available with an outside diameter of 120 mm in lengths from 1,500 to 4,000 mm.
DURAN® with anti-reflective coating
SCHOTT has developed a special anti-reflective and anti-fingerprint coating for DURAN® tubing, which significantly enhances transparency and prevents smudging and other marks from obscuring what’s inside the glass, while retaining the robust properties of the regular DURAN® range.
This makes it ideal for applications such as museum exhibits and gallery displays, as the tubing becomes near-invisible, enabling 360o vision without reflections or light glare obstructing the view.
- Maximum transparency, making the glass near-invisible.
- Oleophobic coating prevents smears or smudging from handling or physical contact.
On average, this thermally prestressed variant of DURAN® offers a higher level of mechanical resistance than the regular DURAN® range. With impact and stress resistance more than doubled (on average), DURATAN® is ideal for highly challenging applications.
High scratch resistance and strong light transmission properties also make this variant ideal for external use, and a fine break pattern improves the safety characteristics of the glass as it breaks in a less hazardous way.
- On average 2-3 times higher resistance to tensile stress and mechanical impact compared to DURAN®.
- Fine break pattern, similar to tempered safety glass (ESG).