Solar Cell Cover Glasses
SCHOTT® Solar Glass 0787
SCHOTT® Solar Glass 0787 is a technical glass designed to be a highly transparent and ultra-thin protective cover for photovoltaic cells and optical solar reflectors (OSR) in space. Cerium doping provides enhanced solarization stability, maintaining a high optical transmission rate even after exposure to hard UV, proton, or electron radiation.
Manufactured using SCHOTT’s exclusive down-draw process, SCHOTT® Solar Glass 0787 provides a high quality, non-porous, ultra-flat fire-polished surface on both sides without polishing or slimming. Standard thicknesses range between 0.075 and 0.15 mm, but can be as low as 0.03 mm and as high as 1 mm. SCHOTT® Solar Glass 0787 is a toughenable glass with high mechanical strength.
- The cover glass acts as a barrier layer, protecting against several types of high-energy particle radiation to prevent damage.
- The material offers high transmittance in the VIS and NIR areas of the spectrum and is solarization stable, even after long exposure to high-energy particle radiation.
- Available in sheet format or cut-to-size substrates for customers’ individual designs.
- Can be manufactured according to ECSS qualification upon request.
SCHOTT® Solar Glass sphere
SCHOTT® Solar Glass sphere is a technical glass designed to be a highly transparent and ultra-thin protective cover for space and terrestrial photovoltaic applications in low radiation environments. The material’s unique composition provides high and stable transmittance over the lifetime of the application while reducing the UV transmittance to an acceptable minimum.
Produced using SCHOTT’s exclusive down-draw process, SCHOTT® Solar Glass sphere offers a non-porous, ultra-flat fire-polished surface on both sides without the need for further polishing or slimming. Standard thicknesses range between the ultra-thin 0.03 mm and 0.15 mm, while thicknesses up to 1 mm are available upon request. High mechanical strength and the ability to be toughened are further advantages.
- Large standard formats of 710 x 410 mm are available, while other formats are available upon request.
- Standard thicknesses range between the ultra-thin 0.03 mm and 0.15 mm.
- As a commercial off-the-shelf product, this variant offers the best cost-benefit ratio for solar cell applications in low-radiation environments.