vivo S12 Pro is the world’s first smartphone to feature the ultra-strong SCHOTT Xensation® α cover glass
Wednesday, 22 December 2021, Jena, Germany
- The vivo S12 Pro will be the first smartphone to feature Xensation® α (Alpha) – a high performance cover glass from SCHOTT with up to 100% improved drop performance.
- Users of the new premium phone benefit from the glass’s outstanding specifications, significantly improved drop resistance and scratch performance.
- “Made in Germany”: The cover glass is melted at SCHOTT’s Jena plant.
“At SCHOTT, we have enjoyed a successful partnership with vivo over the last couple of years. That’s why we are excited that their S12 Pro will be the world’s first smartphone to feature our new Xensation® α cover glass,” says Dr. Lutz Klippe, Product Group Manager at SCHOTT.
Xensation® α: A new generation of cover glass
Launched in late 2021, Xensation® α is a chemically strengthened lithium alumino borosilicate (LABS) glass. Besides the industry-standard ingredients lithium and aluminum, Xensation® α contains the semimetal boron. This combination produces an extremely powerful high-end cover glass for smartphones with substantial improvements in drop and scratch resistance. The advantages of Xensation® α include:
- Significantly improved drop resistance from double the height* (also "set drop performance" or "drop performance") compared to other LAS-based premium cover glasses - especially on impact with rugged or sharp-edged, rough surfaces.
- Less susceptible to scratches than commercially available aluminosilicate (AS) and LAS cover glass types, as Knoop-diamond indenter lab tests show.
- Combining the outstanding character of LAS glass in terms of chemical strengthening potential with the scratch performance of borosilicate glass and a strong glass network as known from glass-ceramics.
Xensation® α is a prime example of how a traditional company like SCHOTT, which is more than 130 years old, can channel more than a century of experience into original and inventive new products. Otto Schott, the company’s founder, was the first to document the addition of lithium to a glass mixture as part of his far-reaching experiments that ultimately led to the invention of specialty glass. Xensation® α continues this legacy.
A trusted partnership
SCHOTT and vivo have enjoyed a close and trusted partnership over several years, and the two companies have a successful history of smartphone collaborations. Xensation® Up. has previously been featured on previous vivo high-end models including the vivo X70 series, the X60 Pro series, the NEX series, and S9 series.
SCHOTT further strengthens its position in the high-end cover glass business through its latest innovation for foldable smartphones (foldables): The mass-produced flexible and chemically strengthened ultra-thin glass (UTG) Xensation® Flex enables premium smartphones with flexible screens. As a supplier to Samsung, SCHOTT is proud to enable a new device generation.
*= This testing process, which is designed to reflect the everyday use of smartphones, uses a smartphone dummy dropped from increasing heights onto a hard surface covered in sandpaper. Xensation® α can survive drops without breaking from up to twice the maximum height as compared to LAS cover glass.
Xensation® is a registered trademark of SCHOTT AG.
Pioneering – responsibly – togetherThese attributes characterize SCHOTT as a manufacturer of high-tech materials based on specialty glass. Founder Otto Schott is considered its inventor and became the pioneer of an entire industry. Always opening up new markets and applications with a pioneering spirit and passion – this is what has driven the #glasslovers at SCHOTT for more than 130 years. Represented in 34 countries, the company is a highly skilled partner for high-tech industries: Healthcare, Home Appliances & Living, Consumer Electronics, Semiconductors & Datacom, Optics, Industry & Energy, Automotive, Astronomy, and Aerospace. In the fiscal year 2020, its 16,500 employees generated sales of 2.24 billion euros. With the best teams, supported by the best digital tools, the group intends to continue to grow. SCHOTT AG is owned by the Carl Zeiss Foundation, one of the oldest foundations in Germany. It uses the Group's dividends to promote science. As a foundation company, SCHOTT has anchored responsibility for employees, society and the environment deeply in its DNA. The goal is to become a climate-neutral company by 2030.
Head of Corporate Communications