SCHOTT® Luminous Diffusers
SCHOTT® Luminous Cylindrical Diffuser
These glass-based diffusers emit light from the sides of the fiber rather than the front (distal) end, providing homogenous diffused light for the length of the diffuser. Applications include photodynamic therapy for skin conditions and photoimmuno therapy in cancer treatment.
These diffusers are typically 4-50 mm in length, and testing has shown that they can deliver powerful laser light up to 1,500 mW/cm². Efficiencies of over 80 % for laser radiation in the visible and near-IR ranges can also be achieved.
- Cylindrical shape enables easy distribution of light.
- Outer diameters as thin as 100 microns enable treatments that require high flexibility of the medical device.
- Our coating and shielding expertise allows for directed or sectional radiation profiles.
SCHOTT® Luminous Spherical Diffuser
These diffusers have ball-shaped components added to the tip of a fiber to create a 360° pattern of light radiation in a highly homogenous distribution spread. They are well suited to laser-based thermal therapies.
With a typical diameter of 0.3-1.0 mm, the ball-shaped tip delivers an extremely homogenous spread of light through 360°, and can emit high power light while maintaining low heat emissions.
- Highly homogenous radiation profile.
- Light is evenly applied inside hollow areas such as the inside of the bladder and other organs.
- Supports power up to 20 W.
SCHOTT® Luminous Front-Emitting Diffuser
This variety of glass-based diffuser is used to perform front-directed medical light treatments.
Front-emitting diffusers only radiate light from the tip of the fiber, which results in a broadening of the directional output in a very precise manner to ensure an even intensity over the whole area.
- Diffuser diameters can be adjusted to match that of the delivery fiber, with typical outer diameters between 400-1,000 microns.
- Customized shapes available on request.
- Optical components can be combined to achieve specific beam shapes or light properties.
SCHOTT® Luminous Special-Shaped Diffuser
When customers approach us with specific needs, we are always happy to deliver a customized solution, and our glass-based diffusers are no exception. For example, emissions for SCHOTT cylindrical or spherical diffusers can be limited to a certain angle to deliver diffused light into a restricted or concentrated area.
Special optical components are added to the cylindrical or front-emitting variants of SCHOTT® Luminous Diffusers to create a precise degree of light homogeneity or focus. These can also be tailored to a specific shape to suit the customer’s individual application requirements.
- Biocompatible coatings can be applied upon request.
- Facilitates laser delivery in restricted, hard-to-access areas.
- High power, homogenous light output.
- Coatings achieve medical standards including DIN ISO 10993 and USP Class VI.