Hermetic Sensor Packaging
Sensor applications come with a multifaceted set of requirements for successful operation. With a vast technology portfolio, SCHOTT has built a reputation as the partner of choice for fulfilling the most challenging requirements.
Harsh-Environment Sensor Packaging
Feedthroughs and packaging components from SCHOTT are well-suited for extreme operating environments often found in safety- or performance-critical automotive, aerospace, and industrial settings.
- Temperature sensors
- Pressure sensors
- Humidity sensors
- Inertial measurement sensors
- Gas sensors
- Fluid sensors
- Flow sensor
With decades of expertise, SCHOTT is one of the few manufacturers that meets challenging quality and supply requirements for harsh-environment sensor components:
- Superior reliability: up to 2,000 bar pressure resistance, 1000°C temperature stability, and up to 30 years lifetime depending on the design.
- Fully custom-designed single- or multi-pin feedthroughs and packages.
- Consistently stable lot-to-lot quality at high volumes.
Optical Sensor Packaging
SCHOTT offers a range of hermetic packages designed to provide reliable protection and enable superior light beam input and output for optical sensors and MEMS components. Our portfolio includes:
- Custom through-hole or SMD packages
- Standard and custom high-performance optical lenses or window caps
- Ultra-miniature 'all-glass' WLCSP options offered
- Standard transistor outline (TO) packages with matching caps/lenses (TO8, TO38, TO39, TO41, TO46, TO56)
- UV/VIS/IR sensor packaging
- Laser/photo diode packaging, e.g. Datacom, LiDAR
- MEMS mirror packaging
- LED packaging
- Superior product reliability and precision based on more than 50 years of research and applied optoelectronic design and manufacturing expertise.
- First-class technical and application support from our dedicated optoelectronics specialists.
Wafer Level Chip Scale Sensor Packaging
State-of-the-art Primoceler™ glass micro bonding technology by SCHOTT Primoceler Oy enables the production of ultra-miniature, ultra-reliable wireless sensors and MEMS. The laser-based process allows for hermetic sealing of two or more glass wafers to produce chip-size 'all-glass' packages. Performed at room temperature and without the use of any additives, it enables the encapsulation of highly heat-sensitive electronics.
While Primoceler™ packages are often designed with through-glass vias for signal transmission using SCHOTT HermeS® wafers, the excellent RF-transmission properties of glass also open the possibility for fully wireless device assemblies for:
- Medical devices and implants
- MEMS sensors
- Flow cells
- High-temperature applications
- Ultra-reliable: no adhesives, no outgassing, high hermeticity.
- Ultra-miniature: room-temperature process and a minimal heat-affected zone enables thinner materials and smaller dimensions.
- Highly efficient: reliability and miniaturization leads to a high yield with more devices per wafer. The fast one-step process also uses no consumables.
Integrated Sensor Packaging
SCHOTT’s wide-ranging competencies enable significant design freedom for sensor manufacturers. This includes the development of high I/O count packages as well as multiple electrical and optical interfaces using microelectronic packages. Complete electrical assemblies, such as sensitive measurement and control electronics, can be encapsulated.
- Multi-pin MCM or IC packages
- Power electronics packages with high thermal conductivity
- Microwave / RF packages
- Amplifier packages
- First-class product quality: SCHOTT’s hermetic microelectronic sensor packages meet the highest performance and lifetime expectations, even in extreme pressure, vibration, and high-temperature conditions.
- Unmatched technical design support and consultation: we cater to customer-specific interface needs, optimized to fulfill electrical, mechanical, optical, and thermal requirements.
Director of Sales