100 Years of Bauhaus

The Bauhaus has three important milestones in its 14-year history: the "Staatliches Bauhaus" in Weimar, the "Hochschule für Gestaltung" in Dessau and a private educational institute in Berlin. The "Staatliches Bauhaus" was founded in 1919 by Walter Gropius as a design school in Weimar. It was a combination of art and craftsmanship and was something completely new at the time. Today the historic Bauhaus is the most influential educational institution in the field of architecture, art and design in the 20th century and is regarded worldwide as the home of the avant-garde of classical modernism in all areas of free and applied art and architecture.

Its 100th anniversary will be celebrated in 2019 with various events at numerous locations, including a festival week from 1st to 7th April in Weimar, the founding site.

Until 1919 -  Historical Background

The predecessor organisation for the Bauhaus was the "Kunstgewerbliche Seminar", founded in 1902 by the Belgian architect Henry van de Velde, and the "Kunstgewerbliche Institut", which later became an educational institute, beginning its teaching activities in 1907. The Van de Velde Building from 1905/06, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the Bauhaus Atelier from 1886 were built in his honour. SCHOTT's extensive experience in the field of historical glass renovations has enabled SCHOTT to become a special glass expert for restoration. For the Van-de-Velde building, SCHOTT TIKANA® insulating glazing with a sun and heat protection layer was used, and RESTOVER® restoration glass was used for the Bauhaus atelier.
empty

1919-1925 -  Bauhaus Weimar, Germany

The State Bauhaus was founded on 1st April 1919 by Walter Gropius in Weimar. It emerged from the union of the "Großherzoglich-Sächsichen" College of Fine Art in Weimar, under the direction of the Belgian designer Henry van de Velde, and the "Kunstgewerbeschule Weimar", which was dissolved in 1915. Walter Gropius appointed top-class artists as masters at the Weimar Bauhaus, including Gerhard Marcks, Lyonel Feininger, Johannes Itten, Paul Klee, Oskar Schlemmer, Wassily Kandinsky and László Moholy-Nagy. Internationality, cosmopolitanism and artistic diversity characterized his appointment policy. During its existence in Weimar until the end of March 1925, the Bauhaus became an important meeting place for the European avant-garde.
empty

1925-1932 - Bauhaus Dessau, Germany

After the politically forced closure of the Bauhaus in Weimar, a relocation to Dessau took place. There the aircraft manufacturer Hugo Junkers offered support, and there was also a stable social-democratic and limeral majority in this industrial city. Nevertheless, after moving to Dessau, numerous teachers left the institution, including the architect Adolf Meyer and the graphic artist Karl Peter Röhl.

One year after the relocation to Dessau, the new Bauhaus building designed by Walter Gropius was inaugurated. In 1928 he resigned as director of the Bauhaus and the Swiss architect Hannes Meyer took over this post. The architect Ludwig Mies took over the position as director in 1930. The victory of the NSDAP in 1931 led to the closure of the "Staatliches Bauhaus" one year later. Ludwig Mies tried to continue the Bauhaus as a private institution by moving to Berlin again.
empty

1932-1933 - Bauhaus Berlin, Germany

The institution, which was now run privately, was also forced to dissolve itself at its new location of Berlin-Lankwitz by reprisals of the National Socialists. Many Bauhaus members emigrated and therefore contributed to the international dissemination of the ideas of the Bauhaus.
empty

From 1933 - Aftermath

One of the special features of the Bauhaus is that it bundled very different international currents and had to reinvent itself in constantly changing contexts due to forced migration. From the 1930s onwards, Jewish Bauhaus architects erected more than 4,000 buildings in Tel Aviv. This "White City" has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2003. This is where the largest collection of Bauhaus-style buildings can be found.

In 1996, the Bauhaus building in Desseau was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Today it is the seat of the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation, founded in 1994.

Our Contribution

empty

Our Product

Palace of Tears Berlin, Germany
Restoration glass SCHOTT TIKANA® for Bauhaus style
SCHOTT TIKANA® - Historical in form, innovative in function

TIKANA® glass is particularly well-suited for buildings in the Bauhaus style. Its slightly irregular surface harmonizes with buildings from the classical modern period. Like the other SCHOTT restoration glasses, TIKANA® glass offers every opportunity to link historical charm with modern physical building properties.
Modifier
Sur ce site Web, SCHOTT utilise des cookies afin d'optimiser l'affichage des pages et améliorer le confort et l'expérience de l'utilisateur. En continuant à naviguer sur ce site, vous déclarez les accepter.