A TV star with a TV glass component: Actor Mario Adorf autographed the jubilee screen in the presence of Management Board members Dr. Udo Ungeheuer (left) and Dr. Leopold von Heimendahl.
Jürgen Breier, SCHOTT GLAS
The Window to the World
SCHOTT is a pioneer in glass components for television sets. The success story began in 1936, and since 1953 the Mainz plant has been fabricating screens and funnels for the entertainment electronics sector – 250 million to date.
For billions of people, television is the “window to the world.” The range of TV programs offered today is as astounding as the international coverage. We have long become an information society. No medium other than television is better able to communicate the latest knowledge or to influence the way opinions are formed and images are built. It is thus both an opportunity and a challenge. Our world is getting smaller all the time. Television knows no borders and brings continents together, because the language of pictures is international. SCHOTT has been helping to make what was once the dream of television a reality for nearly 70 years. The company started producing glass components for television sets back in the 1930s and has since established for itself a permanent place in the history of the medium’s development.
Today, SCHOTT is Europe’s biggest manufacturer of glass components for the television industry. More than 20 million glass components for televisions are produced per year in Mainz and Valas
September 25, 2002 was a major landmark for SCHOTT: it was the day the company celebrated the production of the 250 millionth TV component: a large, completely flat (True Flat), 76 centimeter (32" WS-FL) TV screen. SCHOTT invited customers, partners and competitors to participate in the event.
The popular German actor Mario Adorf made a surprise appearance at the evening celebration. For the movie and TV star who currently lives in Rome the visit was also a walk down memory lane. As a student in the early 1950s, Adorf worked during a semester break for the construction company that erected SCHOTT’s first production buildings in Mainz.