Measuring some 9.6 million square kilometers, China is the fourth largest country in the world after Russia, Canada and the United States.
- 1.2 billion inhabitants
- A nation of many cultures with 56 different ethnic groups, the largest of which are the Han Chinese constituting 92% of the population
- The eastern coastal regions are the most densely populated; the western half of the country is only very sparsely settled
- Beijing, the capital with 11 million inhabitants
- Shanghai, largest city with 14 million inhabitants
- Other large cities: Tianjin (8 million), Guangzhou (9 million.), Xi’an (6 million), Nanjing (4.5 million)