The neoclassicist villa was built in 1890 and has survived an eventful history. It was renovated and expanded between 1901 and 1922. After Otto SCHOTT’s death, it then served as the home to his son Erich and his family from 1935 to 1945. After the war the Jenaer Glaswerk became state-owned property, and the villa was used as the company’s day-care center from 1950 to 1990. In 2001, the building was thoroughly renovated for its current use as a museum.