The history of SCHOTT
Otto Schott, Ernst Abbe and Carl and Roderich Zeiss found the Schott & Associates Glass Technology Laboratory in Jena, Germany (later the Jenaer Glaswerk Schott & Gen.).
Ernst Abbe founds the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung (Carl Zeiss Foundation).
The Jenaer Glaswerk become a foundation-owned enterprise. Its sole owner is the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung.
The first subsidiaries: Farbenglaswerke Zwiesel und Pirna (1927), Deutsche Spiegelglas AG (DESAG) in Grünenplan (1930), Glaswerk Mitterteich (1930).
„Zug der 41 Glasmacher" ("The Odyssey of 41 Glassmakers"): After the end of World War II, American troops bring the management and selected experts from Jena to West Germany.
The original factory in Jena (Soviet zone of occupation / GDR as of 1949) is expropriated and converted into a state-owned company (VEB).
The foundation company is rebuilt in Mainz (Federal Republic of Germany) under the direction of Erich Schott, the son of the company’s founder. Mainz becomes the headquarters and main production site of the SCHOTT Group.
First production subsidiary outside of Germany (Vitrofarma in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil).
Establishment of production plants and sales offices in Western and Southern Europe. A sales office is opened in the U.S. (New York City). SCHOTT grows to become an international group of companies.
First sales office in Asia (Tokyo, Japan).
First production facility in the USA (Duryea, Pennsylvania).
First production facility in Asia (Penang; Malaysia).
Opening of the Otto Schott Research Center in Mainz.
After the reunification of Germany, SCHOTT in Mainz takes over the ownership of the old main plant in Jena. The factory is renovated, restructured and integrated into the SCHOTT Group.
Establishment of production plants and sales offices in Eastern Europe.
First production plant in China.
Conversion of the foundation enterprise to the corporation SCHOTT AG. Its sole shareholder is the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung.
SCHOTT marks its 125th anniversary.